Last Updated on October 9, 2020 by Darshan Modi
Mark Beaumont holds the record for cycling around the world (29 000 kilometre) in the shortest time – he completed the trip in only 78 days
Mark Ian Macleod Beaumont was born on 01 January 1993 in Scotland.
Mark Beaumont grew up in Dundee in Scotland where he was homeschooled until the age of 11 and then he attended Dundee High School .
At only 12 years of age, Mark cycled across Scotland and then at the age of 15, he rode across Great Britian on his own. He attended the University of Glasgow where he got a degree in Politics.
Mark Beaumont was an achiever from a young age and at university he was awarded the Graduate of the Year in 2009 and in 2010 he won the Glenfiddich Spirit of Scotland Award, awarded for notable Scottish people. He went to earn his Doctorate in Law at the University.
About Mark Beaumont
During his world breaking cycle around the World, which took Mark just over 70 days, he was involved in collisions and suffered from dysentery and other illnesses. His race raised 18 000 GBP’s for charity. In total he rode through 20 countries and his bike carried and addition 60 kilograms in weight for equipment and camera’s.
In 2010 he cycled through America, from Alaska to Southern Argentina in 268 days, a total of 21 050 kilometres. This trip was filmed for a BBC documentary, “The Man who cycled the America’s”. His cycling trip from Cairo to Cape Town also set new records as he completed it in 42 days,17 days less than the previous record. In 2015 he set a record for completing the “North Coast 500” around Scotland in just under 38 hours.
In addition to cycling, Mark is also an avid oarsman and in 2011 rowed through the Canadian Artic and 2012 joined team attempting to break the word record for rowing across the Atlantic, unfortunately their boat capsized and the expedition and to be aborted. Mark was the first torchbearer in the 2012 Summer Olympics on day 26.
Mark still lives in Scotland with his wife and two children and in January 2016 he was appointed as the Rector of the University of Dundee.
Genetic Or Learned
Mark Beaumont’s incredible feat’s are due to hard work and training.
Guinness World Records
- In 2008 Mark Beaumont won the Guinness World Record for a circumnavigational bike tour of the World in the shortest time.
Mark Beaumont Youtube Videos
Documentary Featured In
- The Man who cycled the World (2008) BBC
- The Man who cycled the America’s (2010) BBC
- The Man who Cycled the World (2010) – books.google.co.za/books?id=YOF83j-pffoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=mark+Beaumont&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mark%20Beaumont&f=false
- The Man who Cycled the America’s (2011) – books.google.co.za/books?id=jPe2fi8ddR8C&printsec=frontcover&dq=mark+Beaumont&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mark%20Beaumont&f=false
- African Solo: My world Record race from Cairo to Cape Town (2016) – books.google.co.za/books?id=O18yCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=mark+Beaumont&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=mark%20Beaumont&f=false