Last Updated on May 24, 2020 by Darshan Modi
Many of us get excited when we hear about magic and super natural powers. It creates an interest in our hearts and minds to watch them and know how it happens. Yeah, your guess is right. We are going to know more about such a great magician named James Randi. He is not only a legendary magician but also as an escape artist, illusionist, scientific skeptic, psychic investigator and author.
James Randi Superhuman Superpower
Amazing James Randi was made very popular with his magic powers and astonishing techniques such as being sealed underwater in a casket for 1 hr and 44 minutes, escaping from jail cells & safes and escaping from a straitjacket while suspended upside-down over Niagara Falls.
James Randi was born on 7th August 1928 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Marie Alice and George Randall Zwinge.
Randall James Hamilton Zwinge (James Randi) lived with his parents, younger brother and sister in Canada. When he was in his teenage, he met with a severe bicycle accident made him to spend 13 months in bed. It was the time when he was inspired by the legendary magician Harry Blackstone Sr and started reading conjuring books which boosted his interest towards art of magic. He started practicing magic tricks.
More than learning magic, he was keen in exposing to people about the tricks done by many magicians and astrologers who were pretending as if they have supernatural powers. This also has become his prime goal. James Randi joined a carnival road show to perform as a conjurer, magician and mind reader at the age of 17 for which he discontinued his high school studies.
James Randi presented himself as a psychic in the nightclubs and Canadian National Exhibition, Toronto and also as an astrologer in order to show people with proof that it was tricky too. He started his career when he was 18 years old in the year 1946. At the age of 20, James Randi has become a professional magician and escapologist. Later, he travelled across many countries to perform magic and also to witness the tricks of many others who pretended to have paranormal powers.
About James Randi
James Randi is a magician, escape artist, scientific skeptic, author and world’s most tireless investigator and demystifier of paranormal and pseudoscientific claims. He is the co-founder of Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI) and the founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF).
He has appeared in many television shows and series, radio, hosted The Randi Show on WOR-Radio in New York City, wrote many books and won many awards & recognitions(MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, Asteroid 3163 Randi, Garden State Magicians’ award, Grand Master of Magic, Lifetime Achievement Award etc..,).
James Randi spent most of his time in investigating paranormal, super natural and occult and pseudoscientific claims. He was an important person to perform in night clubs. Remaining submerged in a metal coffin for 1 hr and 44 minutes and escaping from a straitjacket while suspended over Niagara Falls are the remarkable actions done by him.
At the age of 60, James Randi stopped practicing magic. The $1 million offer has been made by JREF for those who are ready to prove that they have supernatural or paranormal ability. It decided to temporarily discontinue the challenge after the retirement of James Randi. Even after his retirement he used to give his performances.
Genetic or Learned
To become a magician and escape artist, James Randi learned and practiced magical tricks, techniques and strategies by reading many books. So, it is very clear that it is learned one.
Guinness World Records
- Been in sealed metal coffin that had been submerged in a hotel swimming pool for 104 minutes
- Encased in a block of ice for 55 minutes
Names known by
- Amazing James Randi
- Escape Artist
- Scientific Skeptic
- World’s most tireless investigator and demystifier of paranormal and pseudoscientific claims
- Challenger of paranormal claims and pseudoscience
James Randi Youtube Videos
- The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
- Penn & Teller: Bullshit!
- Live TV show: Exploring Psychic Powers
- An Honest Liar
- ABC: The View
- I’ve Got a Secret
- Happy Days – The Magic Show
- Zembla, ‘De trucs van Char’
- ZDF German TV
- Wild Wild Web
- West 57th
- Welt der Wunder – Kraft der Gedanken
- The Don Lane Show
- That’s My Line
- The Secret Cabaret
- ABC News Special: The Power of Belief
- People are Talking
- The Patterson Show
- After Dark
- Weird Thoughts, Open Media discussion hosted by Tony Wilson for BBC TV
- The Art of Magic
- The Ultimate Psychic Challenge
- Spotlight on James Randi
- Secrets of the Super Psychics
- Scams, Schemes, and Scoundrels
- RAI TV Italy
- Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher
- End of the World
- Signs from Heaven
- The Oprah Winfrey Show
- Lawrence Leung’s Unbelievable
- Nova: Secrets of the Psychics
- TV Series: Mita ihmetta?
- Magic or Miracle?
- TV Series: Magic
- CNN: Larry King Live
- James Randi: Psychic Investigator
- James Randi Budapesten – Hungarian documentary
- Inside Edition
- Horizon – Homeopathy: The Test
- Dead Men Talking
- Fornemmelse for snyd
- Extraordinary People – The Million Dollar Mind Reader
- CBS This Morning
- Anderson Cooper 360°, CNN
- A Question of Miracles (HBO)
- 20/20 (ABC)
- Holy Koolaid
- Good to See You Again, Alice Cooper
- Penn & Teller’s Invisible Thread
- Penn & Teller Get Killed
- Beyond Desire
- Houdini, His Life and Art
- The Magic World of the Amazing Randi
- The Truth About Uri Geller
- The Faith Healers
- An Encyclopedia of Claims, Frauds, and Hoaxes of the Occult and Supernatural
- James Randi, Psychic Investigator
- Test Your ESP Potential
- Mask of Nostradamus